Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pot Pinchers

Hi Guys!
So no card today. But I thought you might like to see what other craftiness I get up to when the mood hits me. Last week I got it in my head to make some pot pinchers. The thought just popped in my head and I HAD to make them. Did I have a pattern? No. But I HAD to make them, see? You understand the obsession that comes upon one? I think you do. Most crafters/artists are alike in that aspect.
So I went online and found a youtube video here which showed the process but alas, no pattern. (but being a visual person, the video actually helped more than a pattern). Then I went to E-How and found some written instructions  here which I'm sure were excellent ( although Greek to me) but I understood enough to see that they used a 9x5 inch rectangle as the base. I took it from there and made my own template with cardstock.

Here's what you'll need:
Cut 4 9x5 rectangles of fabric, round corners
Cut 8 4 1/2 x5 rectangles of fabric
long strips or fabric cut on the bias about 1 1/2 -2 inches wide for the seam binding (or buy some)
Cotton Quilt Batting
Now follow instructions on the youtube video.
(by the way, the video produces some pretty small mits, the above measurements will give you a bit more finger room.)

So these three sets were all made using scrap fabric and cotton batting. You can use an insulating fabric made special for ironing boards etc but I didn't have any. Though if I owned an ironing board I might have cut the cover up and used it. You could do that.Or you could live on the edge and just make sure your mit doesn't get wet and you'll be fine. :-)

Anyway, all these cute little embellishments I made with buttons, felt, and ribbon available at Sew Sweet.
The yoyo embellie above I used a yoyo maker for. I just bought a simple circle one at the craft store but if you go online via that link above you can see flower shaped ones as well. You know, cos we all need more reasons to spend  money :-)

And in case you're still unsure how to use these oven mitts, you stick your fingers in like so:
Isn't it cuuute?


I would like to play along with  Inspire Me Fridays.
Thats all for today!
Thanks so much for visiting. :-)



22 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my gravy! These are adorable! I can't sew a lick, so I won't be making any of these but I sure like looking at yours!

Linda Wescott said...

they really are the cutest things, so pretty. You clever girl you. Hugs lin

Doreen said...

Oh wow hiese are just gorgeous,clever you.xxx

Babs said...

These are great Dorcas, very pretty....thanks for the links.
Luv, Babs

Jane said...

Crikey girl, is there anything you can't do??
Hugs
Jane

Country Mouse said...

these are just awesome!!! I can see these as some pretty cute Christmas gifts!!!
Instead of cutting up an ironing board cover I wonder if they sell ironing board covers at the dollar store.? I don't live near a fabric store, so i always try to look for other options!! he,he!!!
thanks for sharing the how to! :)
audrey

Jeni said...

These are adorable Dorcas!! You need to sell them. (for us non-sewing people)~jeni :)

Nannieflash said...

You clever old things, fabulous pot holder, we have a long thing in middle for ours so you put both your hands in the ends, and I have made them myself. hugs Shirleyxxx

Debbie said...

These are gorgeous Dorcas, never heard of pot pinchers before, guess they are like potholders.. I guess a crafter is a crafter. I've been working on scarves for Christmas presents but as quick as I'm making them the people I'm making them for are taking them..lol guess I should take picture of the one that is still on needles before that one disappears...

Hugs
Debbie

Debbie said...

These are adorable Dorcas, I just love them and want one!!
Debbiexx

Tine said...

Hi Dorcas. I did wonder at first what a pot pincher was but realised I could translate to 'oven gloves'. LOL.

These look so cute! Like Nannieflash, I have made mine in the past & are kind of like that but with a longer length in the middle & you put one hand into each end. Mine didn't have cute flowers on though.
Tine :)

Ulina / Apricot Bubbles said...

All 3 are adorable!!!
To me it´s admirable that you processed the fabric so exactly - they look like sewn by a professional tailor/seamstress!
Hugs,
Uli

Stacey G.-2 Craf-t-4u said...

These are Fantastic! Your talent is endless! They are perfect for a first attempt! Love the fabric and all the embellies. I had to look up a yoyo maker though. So cool! I am itching to try a few sewing projects this winter, and these babies just made the list! These are perfect for those ceramic pots as they get quite hot!

Sara I. said...

Wow!!! so gorgeous and i wish i knew how to sew!! fabulous creations and what great gift ideas!! xx

Faye said...

Oh Dorcas! These are gorgeous! Is there anything you can't do?! xxx

Andrea said...

Wow, these are all so gorgeous - I love the flower embellishments you've added.
Love, Andrea xx

Shelly said...

These are awesome, Dorcas!!! So beautiful and yet very practical too. The best of both worlds. :)

Linda Carson said...

Do I smell Christmas gifts? Love the fabrics you chose! Beautiful!

Julie said...

Did you know I have a birthday coming up ;D

Anita said...

Dorcas, these are sooo pretty. Love the pretty fabric and embellies. Actually, I'd probably be afraid to use them coz I wouldn't want them to get "dirty" lol!

June Nelson said...

Wow these are brilliant and far better than the ones you buy I love em!!!!!xxx

Anonymous said...

Great tute! I linked you up on my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/www.FabricsNQuilts/posts/415529128504618

have a great weekend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails